Monday, May 21, 2012

Law of Diminishing Returns (A work Post)

(I want to keep for my own journal-keeping purposes a few posts I have blogged for work memos.)

To become a natural law, that law must go through a very rigorous process.  Laws don't just pop up and surprise you.  I mean they start out as mere hypothesis' and have to develop into theories.  Only after intense scrutiny and testing can these hypotheses and theories ever hope to become a law. Take gravity for instance.  That isn't just some pellmell idea.  It is as solid as the thud someone makes while falling off the Empire State Building.  You know what I'm sayin'?

Well there is another law that has been written that demands our attention.  This law has no politics and has no religion.  This law is impartial and absolute.  This law shows mercy to no one.  Yet this law, when understood, can help us avoid catastrophes of epic proportion.  It is the Law of Diminishing Returns. 

I will give you a few examples of how this law works to help you see how powerful it really is.  The other day I was not my happiest.  Yes - I was at work and that was lovely - but it just wasn't my day.  So, naturally, I went to the grocery store to purchase some Oreos.   That sort of thing can get a fella moving again.  The delicious, creamy middle of an Oreo is enough to make even a Cubs fan feel better, even if it is just for a few moments.  Well . . . it worked!  The Oreos immediately began to sooth and uplift my battered emotions.  Bliss was discovered. Felicity and euphoria inadequately describe the pure joy and goodness that now pulsed through my veins.  

So naturally I continued eating this sweet morsel of goodness.  By Oreo number 10, I was still felling good, but perhaps the honeymoon was over.  After 15 - 20 of these delectable little nuggets of lard, I suddenly started to feel a different feeling all together.  The contrast to my initial response to the Oreos was sudden and violent.  No longer were the Oreos my friend - they had become my enemy in an instant.  My stomach and those Oreos spent the next several hours battling it out.  Eventually, my stomach won the battle by tossing the cookies out for good.  I won't go into any more detail because I think you understand the "gravity" of the situation.  The law of diminishing returns was swift and punishing. 

Then there was the time that I went to a cute, sweet little theme park with my children.  There was in this cute, sweet little theme park a cute, sweet little ride.  The cute, sweet little ride had some cute, sweet little music.  Well this cute, sweet little music didn't ever stop.  This cute, sweet little song just kept going and going.  It put the Energizer bunny to shame!  Little psychedelic puppets and dolls kept dancing to this cute, sweet little song.  They danced and danced while the song played and played.  Soon, the cute, sweet little song was blasting through the speakers at such a volume that my children began to cover their ears and cry.  But we were on a boat and their was no way out of our cute, sweet little prison.  We screamed in agony, but the stupid little dolls kept dancing and the music kept playing.  

This is not hyperbole, my 8 year old daughter got off that cute, sweet little ride and looked at me and said, "Dad, can we never go on that ride again?"  I assured her that we never would.  And we never have.  

The point is - that too much of something can be dangerous and uncomfortable.  Sometimes it is good to stop while you still have fond memories and positive feeling about something.  So, with that in mind, I would like to be make a sad but needful announcement.  We have decided to not move forward with the 2012 Film Festival.  This will come as a shock to some, and I admit that I will miss it greatly.   We have had quite a few years of successful films and no shortage of good laughs.  However, the time commitment to the CPS Film Festival is extensive.  Keith has spent a lot of work time over the past couple of years preparing and getting things ready for the film festival.  Those efforts were not in vain, as the film festival has been an absolute bulls-eye.  The films have brought so much fun to our company and they helped make the Christmas Party a great experience. 

However, we feel like right now is a good time to put the Film Festival on hold.  We have a lot of marketing ideas and projects that demand our attention for the year - and we just don't think we can justify the time commitment it would take to do another film festival this year.  We appreciate all of those who have expressed interest in directing and acting.  We truly have a ton of talent in our group and it has been very fun to see all of you in action.  We appreciate everyone's support of the film festival and we hope we will all have fond memories of the fun we had with it. 

Let me close this post by extending a hand of mercy to each of you to help you get through this sad news.  This has to be better than turning to Oreos . . . right?  Just click on the link below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqTyBBit7NI

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are posting more posts! I love reading your writing! :-) You are so talented.... just like your sister! :-)

    ReplyDelete